Tuesday, September 1, 2015

QR Codes

QR Codes are everywhere these days - you can find them on cereal boxes, magazines, and now in your classroom!  A QR Code is a 2D barcode that contains data that can be read by a phone's camera. Most smartphones come equipped with software that allows them to download a QR Code reader. Once you download a reader, the phone's camera acts like a scanner, allowing it to "read" the barcode.  There are several apps for QR readers that are free for both iOS and Androids.

QR Codes are easy to create.  There are many websites that do this, for free!  The one I is use is qrme.com.  All you do is enter the information you want the QR code to reveal, and click "Create"!  That's it!  You can then use the code that's created in a Word document or on a business card or poster, etc.

You can use QR codes for text (as in a written message), url codes (website links), contact information, YouTube videos, text messages, and even maps!

In my classroom, I've used QR codes in so many ways.  I've used them during station activities where the code contains the answer to the problem so students can self-check.  I've used them at open house with the link for "Remind" and my contact information. When you scan the code, the information is added directly to the phone's contacts.  I've used it on homework handouts with links to videos that give support on the topic.  I've also used them to provide parents with a link to a google doc to give me contact information and my blog address on the course syllabus.

What other ways can you envision using QR codes with your class?  Please share your ideas! 



No comments:

Post a Comment