Monday, December 7, 2015

iPad as a Document Camera


I've had many teachers ask me how I use my iPad with my Smartboard in my classroom.  It's pretty easy and inexpensive.  I use my LCD cart as a projector for my iPad.  I can't manipulate the iPad through the Smartboard, it just projects.  But you can see everything I have on my iPad.  My favorite way is to use the camera - it creates an instant document camera!


ipadConnections2

First, in order to connect you'll need a cord - the type depends on your projector.  You'll either need a VGA or HDMI adaptor.  Splurge for the Apple brand.  Since their latest update, my generic cord won't work.  I had to get the Apple brand, and now it works just fine. If you're not sure which cord you need, ask your IT person.  They will be able to help you hook it up, too.  My guy hooked  mine up so I can go back and forth between my computer and my iPad with the touch of a button.  (Thanks, Justin!)  

The stands are pretty expensive, and I have yet to find one that will work with an Otterbox case.  What I use instead is a locker stand.  Yes, a locker stand.  I found mine at Walmart for $3 on sale!
 

I simply place my iPad on top of the stand so the camera is not blocked by the grid.  Voila - a document camera!  The picture is sharp, and I can zoom in pretty tight.  I've used other document cameras that didn't zoom or didn't have a quality picture.  They were so frustrating!  Now, I can easily show measurements, work with maniuplatives or work out problems for students on paper that they can see on the Smartboard, and I don't have to turn my back on them!  It makes teaching a much more personal experience!

The only drawback to the locker stand is that the legs get in the way when I'm zooming in and I need to move the paper around.  For now, I am learning to work around that.  But one day, I hope to find someone to make me this, and also allow for the thickness of the Otterbox case and let it swivel.  

In addition to using the camera on the iPad as a document camera, I use an app called CamDraw ($.99).  It lets you sketch right over the live view from the camera.  I can work on handouts without having to take a picture of it first, and without having to waste a copy.  This is particularly useful when we work on graphing equations - saves me a ton of graph paper!



If you already have an iPad and a projector, it's a great investment to buy the cord so you can project your iPad screen.  Using my iPad as a document camera has changed the way I teach, and I feel it has made me a more effective teacher. 



No comments:

Post a Comment